Friday, July 10, 2009

How I Made Some Cash on Ebay

Hello,
Mark here,

I wanted to share how you can make a few bucks on ebay, just as I did. It wasn't very difficult at all.

There are 3 basic things needed to get started:
1. A computer with a decent internet connection. Dial up will do, but for uploading pictures hi-speed is recommended.
2. A digital camera to take pics of the items you want to sell, and capability to download them to your computer.
3. Items to sell.

The first thing you need to do is brainstorm about all the things around your house that don't owe you anything, and that you wouldn't mind parting with, keep in mind they need to have some value in them to sell.

This will get your juices flowing and seeing dollar signs in place of those dust collecting items that are no longer of interest to you, but could be for potentially thousands of others.

While your thinking about that you need to set up an ebay account if you don't have one already. It is not scarry at all, as a matter of fact it is very user friendly.

Once you have your ebay account set up you can browse the web site and get familiar with what is being bought and sold and you will get some more idea's of things you can sell.

The first thing I sold on ebay was my lawn tractor. I found another one that was easier for my 11yr. old son to drive. So the big old massey had to go.

I shined up the old massey, took pictures from many angles, took pics of the model and serial number.

I then downloaded the pictures to my computer.

I started the advertisement on ebay and uploaded the pictures to my add from my computer.

I chose a low value starting bid for the auction and made it a 7 day auction.

In the add I described how it worked, the condition of the lawntractor, the features, any problems that it had(you want to be honest in selling the items because everytime you sell something the buyer is encouraged to give feedback after the sale is completed and this gives you a testimony for future potential customers).

I set a reserve bid on what I wanted the lawntractor to sell for. If I didn't get to the reserve bid I didn't sell it. If I got anything over the reserve bid it was a bonus.

If you are going to provide shipping you need to specify those details in the auction; there is a spot for that, and also shipping insurance if it is someting of high value.

I had the lawntractor for pick-up. It sold for more than I wanted for it. The new owner came and picked it up at my house.

If the item you are selling doesn't owe you anything, then it is better not to put a reserve on it, as this will create more competition for your auction, because people think they can get it for better deal then. What actually often ends up happening is the competition factor drives the price up.

Next time I will give some more details on what are the hot items for you to sell. Things right in your own house!


Regards,
Mark

No comments:

Post a Comment